It’s the Official Day of Blueberry Pop-Overs!

by doughmesstic on March 10, 2010

in 1Featured Breakfast, blueberries, breakfast, Food Holidays

Can you believe there is such as day?  And, did you know that there is an official Food Holiday EVERY SINGLE DAY of the year? Well, there is. It’s craziness, I tell you.  Good thing I don’t feel the need to participate in all of them…I’d never get anything else done.bbp2

So, why start with Blueberry Pop-Overs?

Two reasons. One, I love pop-overs. Two? That’s enough of a reason.  I LOVE pop-overs!  Have you tried them?  They are so simple to make, and they taste like fluffy little French Toasty goodness.  Throw blueberries into the mix and you’ve got yourself a thing of greatness.  Other than the blueberries, I pretty much guarantee you have all of the ingredients on hand.  So go make some now!  Tomorrow is another day, and it won’t be Blueberry Pop Over Day!! (And no, without looking it up, I have no idea what tomorrow is.  I’m lucky to know it’s Thursday.)

Blueberry Pop Overs

makes 6 (enough for 3-4 people)

• 3 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup All Purpose Flour
  • 5 Tbsps sugar
  • 1/2 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (I make my own using Beanilla beans)
  • 2-3 Tablespoons Butter

Preheat Oven to 375.

Divide the butter into the 6 cups of your Pop Over Pan. (If you don’t own one, you can use a muffin tin, but you will need to use all 12 cups. Just divide the butter up evenly) Place the pan in the oven for 3-5 minutes while you are making the batter.

In medium bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, vanilla, and sugar, then whisk in the flour. Pour the batter into the butter filled cups, then evenly add a few blueberries to each cup. Return to oven for 5 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 and continue to bake for another 25 minutes.  Popovers will be tall and gorgeous just out of the oven, but be warned – they shrink very quickly.  it doesn’t affect the taste, but if you are wanting pictures, foodies, snap ‘em quick!

Serve with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and the best maple syrup you can get your hands on.

bbp1 copy

Speaking of syrup, we bought a teeny tiny little bottle of syrup when passing through Vermont last fall. It was from The Corse Farm in Whitingham…a Grade A Dark Amber.  Does anyone know where I can get more? Are any of my readers in Vermont and know the syrup I am talking about? I’d love to have some more – this stuff is fabulous! In case you want to read more about how the syrup is made on the Corse Farm, click here – but I want to know where I can BUY more! Help!

I’ll leave you with one additional piece of random info (in case it comes up on Jeopardy, CB) – March 10th is also Pack Your Lunch Day.  So, here are a few snappy looking lunch totes I love to mark the occasion!

Have a great day!

Shari March 10, 2010 at 5:09 am

These look incredible! Love the photos! The porous look of the dough with the blueberries is very enticing!!

Katie March 10, 2010 at 5:14 am
CB March 10, 2010 at 5:24 am

… And if I become Jeopardy champion knowing the answer “What is Pack Your Lunch Day?” I’ll gladly buy you all the lunch totes you listed above. It’s the least I can do. I’m just a generous person like that. PS- Dear Easter Bunny, I’ll take 2 of the monkey ones. xo, CB

Kristin March 10, 2010 at 6:07 am

You are incredible. They look amazing!

grace March 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm

enough for three or four people? not if i’m one of the diners. i could and would put away three or four myself. :)

Aparna March 10, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Yuuuum! these sound awesome! I didn’t even know they made pop-over pans o_O shows how much I know. and yes, the best maple syrup is in Vermont. I love that state. It has some of the best wine, syrup, cheese and sites I’ve ever seen!

Aparna March 10, 2010 at 3:11 pm

…and chocolate. ohhh the chocolate I tasted there..!

Rose March 10, 2010 at 3:33 pm
Emily March 10, 2010 at 7:16 pm

My grandma used to make popovers on Christmas morning…LOVE them…and miss them! I had a popover pan in my hands recently and didn’t get it…looks like I should have! These look so yummy!

BethieofVA March 10, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Beautiful!!!! I have never(cough) had a popover. I know what they are, but have never eaten one. Maybe I will splurge and by myself a fancy pan like yours, and a doughnut pan, and kugelhopf pan, and a …

leslie March 11, 2010 at 12:33 am

Damn..now I have to go out and get a pop oven pan! Sucks to be me!!! lol :)

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) March 11, 2010 at 7:47 am

Those holidays are mind-boggling! I have the entire list, I just laugh sometimes! Popvers look deliciously airy!

Kelly March 11, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Whoa, how interesting. Last night I attempted bread pudding for the first time, but made it with blueberries!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction March 11, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Yum! I had no idea there was an official Blueberry Pop-Over day, but I think it is totally justified. These look wonderful. :)

LilSis March 16, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I LOVE blueberries and these Pop-Overs looks delicious. I’d have a hard time stopping at one!