Spiral Blackberry Cobbler

by doughmesstic on July 12, 2010

in 1Featured Pies and Tarts, blackberries, cinnamon, Food Challenge

Sounds strange, doesn’t it?  I guess officially, it’s just Blackberry Cobbler, but this one is pretty different in the details.  For example – the rolling up of the dough and berries like a jellyroll before slicing it into pieces and baking it.  Told you – strange!

I’ll admit, I’ve made it more than once already this month.  Still being in the midst of the Penny Pinching Pantry Raid, it helps to have something that can be made on the cheap…and with buckets and buckets of thumb sized blackberries growing in the backyard, it takes but a minute to run out, grab a few cups, and get the baking started.bbcobb3

The flavor on this dish is intense.  So rich and decadent!  I made it the first time for our 4th of July celebration.  i assumed it would be overlooked for the other desserts, but there wasn’t a single bite left!  Since then, Jon and I have enjoyed it a couple of times with vanilla ice cream – the key to making ANYTHING taste like heaven. Therefore, make it, bake it, cover it in ice cream.  You won’t be sorry!

Spiral Blackberry Cobblerbbcobb2

• 1 cup Salted Butter, divided
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 1/2 cups Self Rising Flour
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 3 cups Fresh Blackberries, divided
  • 1/2 Tbsp Saigon Cinnamon (Any cinnamon will do)
  • Zest of one orange
  • 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom (optional but delicious)
  • 1 Tbsp Ginger
  • Coarse Sugar for topping

Preheat oven to 350.  Add 1/2 cup of butter to 9×9 square baking dish (I used Pyrex). Place in preheating oven while you prepare the cobbler. If you find yourself taking too long, pull the dish from the oven once the butter is very melted.  Set aside.  Otherwise, leave in oven until ready to place the cobbler in it.

bbcobb1Combine 3/4 cup of berries, water and 1 cup of sugar in small pan.  Bring to a boil and then simmer until you have a nice syrup.

Meanwhile, using a food processor (Or a pastry cutter if you have no processor), combine flour, zest, cardamom and 1/2 cup of cut up COLD butter. Process until coarse meal in texture.  Add milk and process until dough pulls away form sides.  Remove from processor and knead a few times, then roll out into large rectangle roughly 1/4 inch thick and 8 inches by 15 inches.

Sprinkle cinnamon and ginger over the rolled out dough, then add remaining berries.  Starting on one long edge, roll up, jellyroll style.  Cut the roll into 12 slices, then place in rows in the buttered pan.  Pour the blackberry syrup over the cobbler and bake for 45 minutes.  After 45 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle with coarse sugar, then bake an additional 10 minutes.  Remove, let it cool( a little anyway )– then enjoy!!

Now…The Raid.  It almost feels unfair given my job of catering events.  But, such is life.  Last week the ONLY money we spent on food was $18 and change when I was too busy to cook dinner and I allowed us to get Mexican Take Out.  We ate lots of cobbler, my folks sprang for dinner once, Jon made spaghetti, and we ate LOTS of leftover brisket sandwiches that we made for the 4th of July Cookout.  Then on Fridaybegan the annual Member/Guest Golf Tournament at our Country Club, so meals were pretty much covered Friday & Saturday.  I had to cater a large wedding on Saturday as well, and I have lots of goodies left from that – cheeses, fruits, veggies, and SANDWICHES. it’s sandwich nuts around here.  So – we’re out a total of $22 for the month thus far….it’s looking like we’ll make it just fine.  Wait!Jon went to the store today for onions and tomato sauce – so, we are out another $5.  So $27.  Just want to be accurate!

Hope everyone else is surviving the heat, the Raid (if you are participating) and really enjoying your summer!

Kara G July 12, 2010 at 10:46 pm

That cobbler looks delish.. I wish more then strawberries were ready here…
I’ve been following along with the pantry raid. If you want, check out my quick post about how we are doing with it :
Not so well as you, but eh, My hubby’s not very into it…

MW July 12, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Here is my Mom’s simple cobbler recipe – we always called it Berry roll and we fought over the bread part.

1 cup self rising flour
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1 quart blackberries (any fruit works actually)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put the stick of butter in the casserole dish and place it in the oven to melt.

Mix the first three ingredients into a bowl.

Put the quart of berries into a separate bowl, sprinkle some sugar on top (to taste) Microwave for 1 – 2 mins to heat up the berries and create juice.

Once the butter is melted, bubbling – pour in the batter. Pour in the fruit/juice on top.

Bake for 40-50 mins (depends on the dish depth etc.) until brown on top and batter is done.

The thing I love about this recipe is I never have to remember the recipe/proportions etc. So if you are in the grocery store, you know it. You can add a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg etc to your liking but it doesn’t need it. All it needs is ice cream. :)

JulieD July 12, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Looks great! I’m bad, I said I was going to participate in the Raid but I’ve been bad. But I am using coupons and more coupons to shop though. LOL! BTW- I want to hear about the brisket from the 4th — did you use the smoker? I ordered one and am still waiting for it to ship. Can’t wait to smoke my first BBQ brisket.

The Blue-Eyed Bakers July 13, 2010 at 12:22 am

So jealous you can just run out back and grab buckets of blackberries! This cobbler looks delish…love the spiral! Will have to try!

Sharlene July 13, 2010 at 2:57 am

Wow! Such an original take on cobbler. I like that it gives some semblance of portion size. Agreed on the ice cream. Pretty much anything baked with ice cream on top is my picture of heaven. And great job with the raid it sounds like it’s going quite well!

Julia July 13, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Yum, I will be making this for sure! love the spiral part… =)

Tickled Red July 13, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Oh my heavens!! I am running out for blackberry’s right this minute.

Sarah Maison Cupcake July 13, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Looks a great dessert – even if the word “cobbler” always makes me laugh. Do you have the term “load of old cobblers” there?!

And you look gorgeous in your black dress photo on FB too.

DessertForTwo July 14, 2010 at 3:14 am

Wow, I’ve never heard of a cobbler made quite like this! And I like to think that I am the cobbler queen :) thanks for sharing!

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) July 15, 2010 at 4:14 pm

An interesting take on cobblers! It looks delicious!

peabody July 20, 2010 at 3:52 am

LOL- I just made a blackberry roll today as well. They make the best cobblers.

Cindy March 1, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Umm blackbery cobbler. Reminds me of my Grandpa. He would go fishing and pick wild blackberries on his way home, and Grandma would make cobbler. His best fishing spots were a closely guarded secret and so where the best blackberry patches!

learn golf March 3, 2011 at 11:36 am

Very well written article indeed, thank you so much for sharing such information with us, i hope we will see more from author in the future. Cheers.