Homemade Alphabet Soup

by doughmesstic on January 12, 2011

in family, pasta, soup

Did you know you could make your own Alphabet Soup?

Well, you can.  It’s really easy, too.  The hardest part is finding the ABC noodles, but if I can find them, YOU can.  I frequent our local-ish Amish store, and they carry just insane amounts of the coolest baking and cooking supplies.  So check there if you are in the middle of nowhere like I am.  Or, if you live in a city, Trader Joe’s supposedly carries them too.  Of course, you could sub in shells or macaroni, even though it isn’t exactly the same you’ll still get a really yummy soup.

abcsoup1

image On another ABC note, I am amazed every day at how much Seven is learning.  For Christmas, I got him a Melissa & Doug ABC Train puzzle.  It’s 10 feet long, and each letter is it’s own piece.  Until the day I opened it up and laid it out on the floor, I had no clue the child REALLY recognized every letter in the alphabet.  He’ll sing the ABC song, and as he comes to the next letter in the song, he’ll search the floor for the appropriate letter and snap it into place.

I was kind of amazed. When did he grow up?

I mean, I knew he knew the Alphabet Song.  I taught it to him ages ago, and he’s been singing it forever.  And I knew he knew some of the letters, but I never pushed him because I want him to be a little wild boy (and he is).  Of course I want him to be well educated, but I didn’t feel the need to be aggressive in the learning of reading and writing just yet…he’s three.abcpuzzle  Instead, we build. We sing. We play with puzzles and count and giggle and his imagination runs wild.  He speaks in complete sentences, often in Italian.  He can ALMOST bake cookies by himself, and says he’s ready to teach his own cake class. I may very well have created a monster, not to mention, competition!

Apparently, he’s learning more than I realized.  He knows all of the letters, upper and lowercase. And his numbers. And God forbid you touch his W.  He is obsessed with the W.  His two favorite things in the world, he says, are Pink and W’s.  His very favorite thing?…um, Pink W’s.

Sorry for the little sidenote there, but, well, I am a mom and I wanted to share a  bit about my boy and how we play.  And if you have a little one running around, I highly recommend that puzzle.  For that matter, I recommend any Melissa & Doug product.  You can find lots of them on Amazon, or CSN, but you can also grab them at Target or even TJ Maxx and Marshall’s where they are deeply discounted.  I love how durable their products are, and I have yet to be disappointed.

abcsoupletters

Now…back to the soup.

It’s very simple to pull together, and a WORLD better than the condensed soup version.  Paired with a little cheese on top and a nice gooey grilled cheese sandwich – you’re in business!  Give it a shot!

souphead

Homemade Alphabet Soup

• 3  tablespoons  butter
  • 1  cup diced onion
  • 1  cup grated carrot
  • 1/4  cup chopped celery
  • 2  cups chicken broth
  • 1  teaspoon dried basil
  • pinch black pepper, salt to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1  (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2  cups  cooked alphabet pasta (about 1 cup pasta before cooked)
  • 1/2  cup  milk or heavy creamMelt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery; sauté until tender, add garlic and sauté an additional 2 minutes. Add broth, basil, salt, pepper, and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat, allow to cool for a few minutes.Place mixture in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Pour puréed soup back into the saucepan.  Stir in the cooked pasta and milk or cream. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.  Serve with grated cheese or garnish with fresh basil.  Enjoy!

Kristin January 12, 2011 at 4:30 am

Sounds delicious. And, Seven is a smart little guy.

doughmesstic January 12, 2011 at 4:39 am

Seven is a monster. If I posted what he’s really like, you’d see me pulling my hair out. Really. Except for when he’s playing Wii or the iPhone. Those are the times i am sitting and shaking. (just kidding!) Thanks, lady! I think he’s smart too, but i am biased.

Katy January 12, 2011 at 4:35 am

I’ve made alphabet soup before! ;) If your grocery store has a Mexican food section, check there for the alphabet pasta. That’s where I usually find mine! I’ll have to check out that puzzle too — looks very fun.

doughmesstic January 12, 2011 at 4:38 am

But of course YOU have! :) Thanks for the info on where else the pasta might be – I’m sure it will help someone out!

Rachelle January 12, 2011 at 4:52 am

Sounds delish, I’m going to mark this to make. I’ve seen the ABC pasta around.

Emily January 12, 2011 at 11:41 am

Thanks for the recipe and Amish store suggestion Susan! I’ve tried finding my own alphabet noodles with no luck. My first search came with trying Jessica Seinfeld’s “Deceptively Delicious” recipes. Love getting all that extra veggies in my kids food and they don’t even realize it! Now, I’ll hit the Amish store and try yours!

doughmesstic January 13, 2011 at 5:21 am

We really need to get together sometime Emily. Have you ever been up to the shop in White Gate? I love how many things they have to offer – lots of organics, naturals – you’d love it. I bought a huge bag of the ABCs for $1.50.

Kayte January 12, 2011 at 1:13 pm

The little ones are always learning…they pick up things you have no clue about and you look at them and think, “Where did you learn this???” They watch and see everything, that’s how! Don’t worry about the Pink W’s…lol. When Matt was little he was in love with Belle from Beauty and the Beast and for years he would tell everyone he was going to marry Belle someday. Alex could do a perfect hula dance and sing Pearly Shells at Seven’s age…I see no sign of that anywhere…lol. Enjoy…and he is one smart little boy, no doubt about it! Soup looks great. I grew up in Amish areas (my great-grandparents were Amish as a matter of fact) and you can get any number of interesting things at great prices in their stores! Love to visit the stores whenever I am home.

doughmesstic January 13, 2011 at 5:19 am

Thank you Kayte! If Seven turns out half as great as Matt – I’ll be stoked!

brandi January 12, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Do you go to the one out in White Gate? I’ve been there before and love it. There’s also an Amish market in Harrisonburg/Dayton that I LOVE – my husband’s parents live there, so we go to that market whenever we’re in town.

They do have some of the best items – I buy most of my bulk grains, flours, soup mixes, etc, from them.

doughmesstic January 13, 2011 at 5:18 am

Brandi – yep, LOVE the store up White Gate. We should carpool over one day! Not sure about YOUR hub, but mine gets antsy hanging out in there as long as I want to be shopping. I take forever because there is so much to see! As for Dayton – you have GOT to be kidding. The big barn shaped house right next door to the Amish Market is Jon’s grandmothers. How bizarre!

Michele January 12, 2011 at 3:58 pm

If any readers live near a Publix grocery store, they carry Publix brand ABC noodles. Less than $1/box! Those are a staple in our house! Can’t wait to try the soup recipe – thanks Susan :)

Belladune January 12, 2011 at 4:06 pm

i’ve tried to feed my kids homemade tomato soup, but I bet if I could find alphabet noodles, they’d eat it! thanks for the recipe and idea!

Oh and I second the love of Melissa and Doug products. They are awesome.

Cookin' Canuck January 12, 2011 at 5:38 pm

What a fun soup for kids (okay, adults too). This would be a perfect soup to send for my kids’ lunches in a thermos.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 12, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Yum! My mom used to buy the alphabet noodles when I was younger, and I haven’t seen them in years. I need to track some down and make this soup!

Maria January 12, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I am sure your version is MUCH better than store bought! Love this fun soup!

Momma Cupcake January 12, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I see this..and now I have to make it. I was one of those freakshows who used to spell out messages in my soup. Like hi mom…so when she washed the dish she saw that. Kind of like putting my initials in the PB jar….

anyway..thanks for stopping by my blog..but I have no idea what you said because it went into code. never seen that before. but I hope it was a nice one! lol.

doughmesstic January 12, 2011 at 10:01 pm

It was very nice! Thanks for coming by my site too – like you, I loved spelling stuff out. Freakshow. I thought only I said that out loud. :)

Tracy January 12, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Oh man, I NEED to find that pasta. This just looks like too much fun!

Jenny Flake January 13, 2011 at 4:46 am

What a fun soup! LOVE it and want some right now!

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker January 14, 2011 at 1:57 am

Super, super cute! Love this!

Malia @ One2One Network February 22, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I just made this. OMG. Best. Soup. Ever.

doughmesstic February 22, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Awesome! So glad to hear you liked it!!