Gluten Free Kahlua & Hazelnut Brownies

by doughmesstic on February 10, 2011

in 1Featured Brownies, brownies, chocolate, desserts

I almost didn’t mention the Gluten-Free aspect of this brownie, as I know that things like “vegan” or “gluten free” or “healthy” tend to make me turn and run.  Truth is, I think people, myself included, see recipes with dietary constraints as unappealing.

As if something might not taste as good as it would if it were full fat, full flour, full sugar.

These brownies are quite the opposite.  They are fantastic.

Last week, a friend of mine went through his entire kitchen, throwing out every single thing that contained gluten.  Why?  Because his wife was just diagnosed with celiac disease, and as a result, gluten is the enemy.  Not for him, mind you, for her.  But in a united front, they tackled the challenge together, and will face the future as a team, making the necessary changes to keep her healthy and happy.

Brownies make people happy.

These gluten free brownies would certainly make the two of THEM happy.

And though I didn’t share a single sample with them (I know, shame on me) I AM sharing with them, and with YOU, the recipe for these gooey, fudgy, you-won’t-ever-miss-the-gluten brownies.

gfbrownies2

Gluten Free Kahlua & Hazelnut Brownies

• 10 Tablespoons melted butter, salted
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
  • 3/4 cup Best Quality Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Kahlua
  • 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup Almond Flour
  • 1/3 cup Chocolate Chips (I used milk chocolate)
  • 1/2 cup chopped hazelnutsgfbrownies1

Preheat oven to 325.  Line an 8×8 square pan with parchment or foil, leaving an overhang on two sides for easy removal.  Spray the prepared pan liberally with baking spray, such as PAM.  Set aside.

Heat the butter to melted and immediately add the sugars, cocoa, Kahlua,  sea salt and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer. Combine.  Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Mixture will become shiny and thick.  At this point, stir in the almond flour and beat vigorously for 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

Pour into prepared pan, and bake for 30-32 minutes.  Brownies will be gooey, but will firm up once cooled.  Allow to cool in pan, then remove from pan by lifting them out with the parchment/foil overhang.  Cut into squares.

Have a great Valentine’s weekend everyone!  And be sure to check back this weekend for another giveaway, as well as on Monday – I’ve got some more good stuff up for grabs!

Miss in the Kitchen February 11, 2011 at 12:21 am

Looks like some fantastic brownies, I’ve got to look for almond flour and try it.

doughmesstic February 11, 2011 at 10:42 am

I got mine from http://www.myspicesage.com – anytime I can’t find something, they seem to have it! Good luck!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen February 11, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Thanks, I will check them out!

Cara February 11, 2011 at 10:22 am

We had to do that with dairy products a few weeks ago for one of our boys. But if it’s for them, its totally worth it!

doughmesstic February 11, 2011 at 10:41 am

Oh, I hate when it’s for kids. :( Great attitude to take – good for you!

Stay-At-Home-Chef February 11, 2011 at 10:26 am

These look heavenly! I haven’t used almond flour but will definitely be giving your recipe a try. There’s an amazing recipe for chocolate cake (gluten-free, using quinoa) in the Quinoa 365 cookbook which I would highly recommend. Lots of great GF ideas that are incredibly tasty.

doughmesstic February 11, 2011 at 10:41 am

Wow! Quinoa? I’m going to have to pick that book up! Thanks!

Meg Luby February 11, 2011 at 1:01 pm

a co-worker of mine is allergic to gluten and always moans when i bring treats in for the community and he can’t partake! thanks for sharing, this will do the trick!
-meg
@ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
@ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

doughmesstic February 11, 2011 at 3:08 pm

It’s an easy recipe, but don’t tell THEM that! Be the office hero. :)

angie s. February 11, 2011 at 5:02 pm

thank you for the recipe. brownies DO make me happy. now if i can only get the hubby to make them! <3

doughmesstic February 11, 2011 at 11:02 pm

He’ll make them! He has to, he loves you!

Dana February 11, 2011 at 9:03 pm

From another Celiac, THANK YOU! This looks SO yummy, I usually look at all the food blogs and have to adapt them to my diet. Not this one and it looks like a hit! :)

doughmesstic February 11, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Oh good! Glad I could help in some LITTLE way! I’d make them again just the same, and gluten doesn’t bother me!

Leslie February 11, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I will have to keep my eyes peeled for some almond flour! I hear the gluten free diet is really good for you.

doughmesstic February 11, 2011 at 11:01 pm

You can find it around, but I get mine from http://www.myspicesage.com – good luck!

Sharlene February 12, 2011 at 12:13 pm

These look amazing. I usually stay away from “vegan” and “gluten-free” too but I’ve been experimenting with a few recipes that came with great recommendations and you can’t even tell!

doughmesstic February 13, 2011 at 12:32 pm

It’s a stigma, I guess – we just assume since something had to be left out, it must have been the GOOD part. Feel free to email me the recipes you’ve found – I’d love to have them!

Nutmeg Nanny February 13, 2011 at 12:55 am

It has Kahlua in it…I’m all for it :)

doughmesstic February 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Well, yeah! Kahlua is great in baking. Subtle…perfect in these!

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) February 19, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I always stay away from those words too, but these brownies look so gorgeously fudgy, I may have to rethink it all!

Couldn't Be Parve March 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I made these and they were quite tasty. I forgot to add he hazelnuts until they were in the oven so I just sprinkled them on top. They were good but I’m sure the recipe would be better as written, with the crunch mixed through. I’m going to try again when I get more hazelnuts. Thanks for the great recipe.

Amy T. March 5, 2011 at 10:14 pm

These are fabulous! I made some for a gluten free friend and sneaked a taste for myself. I then had to make a batch for myself and I am NOT Gluten free. I made one batch with Kahlua and a different batch using Godiva Chocolate Liquor. Both were delicious!

Shawna H. March 13, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I absolute love Gluten Free things…and since I currently am giving up Chocolate for Lent, these are going to be the first baked good I make when I can finally indulge again!! :) They look delicious and love that it uses Almond flour because I can make that on my own! Have you tried it with any other kind of nut combination?