Mississippi Mud Snapping Turtle Brownies

by doughmesstic on April 11, 2011

in 1Featured Brownies, brownies, chocolate, desserts

I can’t leave anything alone.  That’s my problem.  If something has 9000 calories in it, I find a way to make it richer, denser, fatter.

I’m a freakshow like that.

mmbrownie5

Take these brownies, for example. They are BROWNIES.  Brownies are great on their own, right?  Why yes, yes they are.  And these brownies are actually from a box – again, a new Duncan Hines box mix, this time the Turtle Brownies.  I’ve been really enjoying these quick and easy mixes from Duncan Hines, though it’s completely against the Foodie Code of Conduct, I think.  I never got a contract to sign or anything, but I think it’s frowned upon.

Whatever.

Like I said, I didn’t sign anything.  And it’s freaking good, requires zero work, and I can concentrate on other things, like how to make them even more ridiculous.  In this case, by adding a healhty amount of homemade sea salt caramel.  And then a layer of thick and gooey marshmallow creme.  And then huge marshmallows…and then I toast it all to burn that sugar just a bit.  Oh, then I add buttery chocolate to the top, because, well, I can.

I can hear your arteries clogging from here…but oh, what a way to go.

I named these morsels of sin Mississippi Mud Snapping Turtle Brownies because they combine two incredible treats: Mississippi Mud Brownies (Brownies with marshmallows, nuts, and a layer of chocolate on top), and Turtle Brownies (brownies with nuts and caramel).  I threw the “snapping” in there because of my childhood.  Growing up, we used to fish in the pond by my grandmothers house, and it never failed that we’d catch a mean old snapping turtle.  Vicious and always biting… Just like these brownies.

Enjoy them!

mmbrownies6

Mississippi Mud Snapping Turtle Browniesmmbrownie4

makes 20-24

• 1- Duncan Hines Turtle Brownie Box Mix, prepared
  • 1/4 cup Salted Caramel (in a pinch you can use ice cream topping)
  • 1 small jar Marshmallow Cream
  • 1 1/2 cups Marshmallows (I used GIANT ones, cut up)
  • 1 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
  • 1 tablespoon butter

Preheat oven to 350.

Prepare an 8×8 baking pan with parchment or foil and leaving an overhanging edge for easier brownie removal.  Spray the foil/parchment and the pan.

mmbrownie3Prepare brownie mix according to directions, but pull out roughly 5 minutes early.  Pour caramel over brownies.  Add dollops of the marshmallow cream over the still hot brownies, carefully spreading it to cover them.  Add the marshmallows.  Using your kitchen torch, toast the marshmallows and fluff.  If you don’t have a torch, that’s okay, they just won’t get as toasted.  Return the brownies to the oven for 5 minutes.

While the brownies are finishing, Melt the chocolate chips for 30 seconds in the microwave, then stir.  Add the butter, return to the microwave for 30 additional seconds, stir again.  Repeat for 15 second intervals until chocolate and butter are smooth and shiny.

Remove brownies from oven and allow to cool a bit before spreading chocolate over top.  Allow to cool completely in refrigerator for 3-4 hours minimum before cutting to allow marshmallow layer to set.  Enjoy!

mmbrownie1

On another note…

Today is my first day at the Culinary Institute.  I’m nervous, kids…do I belong here?  Can I hang?  Will the hat make me look like a dork?  Do you want to see how dorky I look?  Will a camera even capture that level of dorkiness?

These are all things to consider.

Something else to consider?  Coming back here tomorrow…I’ll be giving away a wonderful pan from  ManPans worth over $130!!

See you then!

Miss in the Kitchen April 11, 2011 at 12:07 am

Looks amazing! Personally I think box mixes are great and so do the masses, obviously!
Good luck this week, I hope you enjoy it to the fullest!

Jen April 11, 2011 at 12:14 am

*Drool* I love brownies (from scratch and box mixes)!

Lora April 11, 2011 at 12:35 am

These are unbelievable! Just gooey gorgeousness!

Vicki B April 11, 2011 at 12:52 am

How in the world do you think these things up? You’re like Salvador Dali with chocolate!

Amanda April 11, 2011 at 1:59 am

Oh yum, these look incredible! :)

~L.K. April 11, 2011 at 4:09 am

Just found your blog, looks interesting!

I’ll admit, as a foodie, I like the Duncan Hines mixes. They’re just really good and basic.

I’m really curious how you’ll like CIA. I’m interesting in going (for pastry in NY), myself, so I’d love to see how you fit in and enjoy it!

Cheryl Kelley April 11, 2011 at 6:57 am

A-mazing!!

MzHokie April 11, 2011 at 8:38 am

I have made that box mix before and thought it was okay…. now I will have to try it again! hehehehe These look amazing.

Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews April 11, 2011 at 10:46 am

Holy cow–these look so good. Wow!!!

Angie Walker April 11, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Holy Crow!! Now I have to go eat 9000 calories worth of chocolaty goodness!
I can actually taste those pictures.

shelly (cookies and cups) April 11, 2011 at 3:18 pm

amazing. seriously. AND those huge marshmallows are my fave!

~kim April 11, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Sweet mother of pearl… I think I may have died and gone to heaven. Turtle brownies are my fave and yes, it is a blessed thing to seek out and explore new ways to take something such as a turtle brownie to a new level! One more reason to break out the kitchen torch too!

YES, I think you “can hang” at the Institute and please post a pic of you in the hat!!

Beth April 11, 2011 at 10:44 pm

These look awesome…can’t you please leave things ALONE!!! You’re killing me! Oh, and have fun at the CIA boot camp! It’s a blast!

Ali April 12, 2011 at 9:53 am

That is beautimous! The gooey marshmallow kills me.

Ariel April 12, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Oh. Drool. Do you think if I was feeling particularly decadent that I could spread Nutella on top instead of melted chocolate chips?

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! April 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Haha, I love that you can’t leave things alone- that’s how we get bigger and better things! First time on your blog, I love it, and love the name!

Barbara Bakes May 28, 2011 at 11:43 am

I have an opened jar of marshmallow creme that I’ve just been eating by the spoonful. This would be a much better way to use it!

Joyce November 16, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Oh boy – do these ever look sinful!! But I bet they are soooo good! With it being close to the holiday, you know calories don’t count so I intend to make it before the 1st of the year! lol