I am so glad it is no longer May 4th. it took me until after noon yesterday to realize why people kept saying “May the fourth be with you.” Just didn’t click. I understood the fourth part, but the May part escaped me.
But now that’s all said and done, and Cinco de Drinko is upon us.
Last week, Tortilla Land, a fresh flour tortilla company emailed (just in time!) and offered to send me a few samples of their tortillas. The email said I’d probably have enough to have a little get together with.
Understatement City. Try a dozen or more packages (I lost count). But lucky for me – they are fantastic! So much different than the cooked variety I typically buy at Food Lion or Wal-Mart. My mind is still reeling with possibilities, but I am so pleased with what I came up with to share with you.
Dessert Worthy Chips and Salsa. Sweet Tortillas paired with Strawberry Watermelon Salsa. You have to TRY it to GET it. So, you have time. Get to the grocery, buy the tortillas, buy the fruit – you can thank me later.
Dessert Chips and Salsa
Brown Sugar Ginger Chips
- Melted Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Fresh Flour Tortillas (I used Tortilla Land)
Preheat oven to 375.
Cut each tortilla into 6 wedges. Separate onto a lined baking sheet (I use a Silpat). In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and ginger. (about 1/4 cup sugar plus 1/4 teaspoon ginger, or to taste) Baste with melted butter, then sprinkle with brown sugar & ginger mixture. Bake until puffed and crispy. Note – the chips will harden more once pulled from the oven. Serve plain or with following salsa recipe.
Strawberry Watermelon Salsa
- 6 strawberries, chopped or sliced
- 1 cup Watermelon, cubed or diced
- 1 teaspoon lemon olive oil (I used Nudo), or fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Drain as needed (the watermelon leaks a lot after stirring.) Place in serving bowl. Enjoy!
Here are a few link to some great recipes I think you’ll find perfect for Cinco de Mayo…and feel free to link your own recipe in the comments!
Have a great night!
- Avocado, Tomato & Cotija Cheese Salad, from Cookin Canuck
- Mexican Baja Grilled Fish Tacos, from Savoring the Thyme
- Restaurant Style Carne Asada Soft Tacos, from Picky Palate
- Lasagna Mexicana, from Doughmesstic
- Mango BBQ Mahi Mahi Tacos, from Doughmesstic
- Avocado Ice Cream, from Two Peas & Their Pod
- Easy Beef Enchiladas, from Recipe Girl