Chocolate Dipped Caramel Apples

by doughmesstic on October 11, 2011

in desserts, family, fruit

When I was just about Seven’s age, I had my first caramel apple.  I still remember the cookie sheet they were on, half of the apples wrapped in oozy brown caramel, the others in a crisp, red candy shell.  My aunt had made them, probably around this same time of year, and they were taunting us cousins from my grandmother’s 5 legged farmhouse table.  The hand carved clock on the dining room wall was chiming, and we had just run in from the swingset to be faced with these delicacies at our short statured eye-level.

caramel-apple

I remember that moment so clearly.  I’m not sure why… Because I don’t remember the first bite.  Isn’t that odd?

It is now over 30 years later, and I still see that dark dining room and oversized table whenever I pass by a place selling candy apples.  I can picture it now, as I write this post.  My grandmother has been gone for several years now – can it be ten? And I wonder, what happened to that table?

Since then I have treated myself to caramel apples almost every chance I get, but I rarely make them.  I had a failed attempt a couple of years ago, and have been too chicken to attempt them again until now.  Surely, my aunt oh so many years ago used store bought caramels to make hers, but I wanted to do it from scratch.  And so I did.

caramel-apples-1

Seven and I picked up a good selection of Granny Smiths at the grocery the other day, and set about to washing them as best we could to remove the wax.  I feared the caramel wouldn’t stick, so I scuffed them up further by scratching them all over, without breaking their skins.  It did the trick!

Once the apples were dipped and set, we dipped them again, but this time in dark chocolate.  I wanted Seven to have fun with it (maybe make his own memories?) so I offered him lots of sprinkles to decorate them with.  I love the results, and the flavors are incredible.  I’ll definitely be making these again and again!

caramel-apple-2

Chocolate Dipped Caramel Apples

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 8 Apples

Chocolate Dipped Caramel Apples

Caramel apples dipped in rich, dark chocolate. Perfect for fall!

Ingredients

• 8 Granny Smith Apples, cleaned and scuffed
  • 8 Craft Sticks
  • 1/2 cup Butter
  • 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
  • 1 cup Light Brown Sugar
  • 1 cup Corn Syrup
  • Pinch Sea Salt
  • 14 ounce can Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • 2 tablespoons Vanilla Extract
  • 12 ounces Dark Chocolate Chips
  • 1 tablespoon Shortening
  • Assorted sprinkles, if desired

Instructions

1. Insert sticks into center of each apple, through the core.
  2. Prepare a baking sheet with a Sil-Pat or parchment paper. Set aside.
  3. Bring butter, sugars, corn syrup and salt to a boil over medium heat. Stir occasionally, until mixture reaches 300F. Stir in the condensed milk, and return to a boil. Remove from heat when mixture reaches 250. Stir in the vanilla. Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then dip each apple. Place dipped apples on prepared baking sheet. Chill in refrigerator until set, about 1 hour.
  4. Heat chocolate and shortening in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring each time. Repeat until melted and fluid. Dip chilled apples, then return to baking sheet to sprinkle, if desired. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Enjoy!

Do you have a favorite childhood food memory?  I’d love to hear about it!

apples-seven

Products & Brands Used in This Post

Other Inspiring Caramel Apples

imageimageimageimage

New Here?  Welcome!  Maybe you came over from How Sweet It Is?  Well, thanks!  I hope you’ll stick around…maybe even get in on this gorgeous Chicago Metallic Giveaway?  Have a great day!

BrerMatt October 11, 2011 at 12:04 am

Is it true that one of these a day will keep the doctors away?

doughmesstic October 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Hmm, not sure, Matt. But it’s bound to keep you happy. Maybe fat and happy, but happy nonetheless.

BrerMatt October 13, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I know caramel apples are in season – I am seeing them everywhere!

Last night Top Chef Desserts had some caramel apple inspired something that the chef messed up.

And today, I found these inside out caramel apples that look to die for: http://domesticfits.com/2011/10/12/inside-out-caramel-apples/

You should bring Seven down to Disney World. They make some decadent apples!

Jessica October 11, 2011 at 12:41 am

These are my favorite part about Fall! And your apples could not look any more perfect!

doughmesstic October 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Thanks, Jessica! i think we should start a movement that makes them year-round staples, don’t you?

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray October 11, 2011 at 8:17 am

Looks like you found some caramel that did the trick! These look fabulous!

doughmesstic October 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I did, thanks!! I think a lot of it has to do with the scratching of the apples. Don’t overlook that step! Thanks for your help!

Lauren from Lauren's Latest October 11, 2011 at 9:47 am

These are beautiful! Love that you double dipped them in caramel AND chocolate! YUM.

doughmesstic October 11, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I can’t do anything halfway, Lauren! You might know that now after the Hard Rock! :)

Chris October 11, 2011 at 10:29 am

These look amazing. The pics are stunning! How can I get a hold of these? :)

My best memories are around apples, too…baked apples with maple syrup.

doughmesstic October 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Baked with maple syrup? Interesting! I’m sure there’s a good story there.

JulieD October 11, 2011 at 10:45 am

These look amazing! I love the picture with Seven in it. :)

doughmesstic October 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Thanks Julie! He’s such a monster.

Meg Luby October 11, 2011 at 11:23 am

yum, caramel apples and chocolate! winning combinations, all
thanks for sharing! love you/love your blog ;)
-meg
@ http://clutzycooking.blogpsot.com

doughmesstic October 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm

So glad you dropped by! I hope you’ll give these a shot – they really are yummy!

Miss in the Kitchen October 11, 2011 at 11:25 pm

We have friends from WA that come hunting and bring me a ton of apples every year. I should be getting those and guess what’s first on the list! Yep your apples, awesome!

Carolyn October 25, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Such a beautiful post, in every way. Thanks for including my caramel apples in your Tastespotting roundup!