Homemade Samoas

by doughmesstic on January 18, 2012

in chocolate, cookies

I keep seeing everyone tweeting about Girl Scout Cookies.  I guess it’s about that time for the orders to go in?  My family of full of boys…no young girls are out and about peddling Samoas, Thin Mints, or Do-Si-Dos.  Sad, isn’t it?  Not a soul has asked me to buy a box of anything.  Heck, I don’t even know anyone with Girl Scout connections.  Which kind of sucks, as Jon and I LOVE Samoas.

So what that means is – Homemade Samoas.

samoa2

Is it involved?

samoaYep.

But that’s okay. It actually looks worse on paper than it is in action.  The shortbread layer is quick.  The caramel you can make in advance and warm up when you are ready for it, not that it takes too long to make in the first place.  The worst part is that it’s a sticky process.

Totally worth it.

This recipe will yield you around three dozen larger than average Samoas, or about two to three boxes worth. And they will be fresh.  And homemade, using the best quality ingredients YOU want to use.  And your friends will think you are a genius, because no one understands that you can actually make Girl Scout Cookies without a robot and a Scout Leader.

Best part? No waiting until Spring for the orders to come in…you can have them TODAY.

Yesssss.

• 7 Tbsp. Butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons milk (or more, as needed)
  • Caramel Topping
  • 14 tablespoons butter
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 2 tsp. sea salt
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • Cookie Topping
  • 3 cups shredded sweetened coconut
  • 1 1/2 cups Caramel (from above recipe)
  • 1 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips

Instructions

For the Shortbread
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Cream together butter and sugar with stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Slowly add in flour, baking powder and salt on low speed, then the vanilla and 1 tablespoon milk. If dough is too dry, add a teaspoon at a time of milk. The dough should not be sticky, so if it is, add a little flour at a time until it reaches a consistency that will allow you to roll it with a rolling pin. Roll the dough to around 1/4 inch and cut with round cookie cutters around 1 – 1/1/2 inches round. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet or Silpat and make a hole in the center with a straw or round piping tip. Reroll any scraps. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, until very lightly golden brown around the edges. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet.
  2. For the Caramel
  3. In a heavy bottomed pot, such as enameled cast iron, combine all caramel topping ingredients save for the extract and bean paste. Bring to a boil and stir until sugars are dissolved and the mixture is well combined. Using a candy thermometer, watch for the goal of about 230 degrees. Allow to boil at this temp for several minutes, until it begins to climb over 235. Stir continuously. Remove from heat and stir in the extract and paste.
  4. To Finish:
  5. Toast the coconut either in the oven (300 degrees, stirring every few minutes) or on the stove top in a large skillet, stirring frequently. Allow to cool.
  6. In a microwave safe bowl, reheat caramel until warm, if necessary. Add the coconut and stir until well combined.
  7. Using a spoon or small spatula, add the topping to the shortbread cookies. Warning – this is a little sticky and messy, but fairly easy. Once all of the cookies are topped, heat the chocolate in the microwave at 30 second intervals until smooth. Dip the bottoms of the cookies into the chocolate and place on parchment or Silpat and place in the refrigerator to set. When set, heat more chocolate in the microwave and add to a piping bag. Squiggle chocolate on the tops of the cookies.

Have a great day everyone!!  I’ll see you back here tomorrow for Popover Day! (It’s a yummy one!)  See you then!

Terra January 18, 2012 at 8:32 am

This is my favorite Girl Scout cookie! These look fun, and easy to make:-) Yum! Take care, Terra

Maureen Chapman January 18, 2012 at 8:33 am

Omgoodness this looks delish!!! Homemade is always better anyway. I’m going to do this but as a cookie bar!!! ;^)

doughmesstic January 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm

That’s a great idea!

Erin January 18, 2012 at 8:46 am

I cannot wait for my boss to bring in his daughter’s order form. Even though I know how to make homemade tagalongs already, sometimes it’s nice to have them already in your possession O:-). But I honestly don’t even know if I like samoas. I didn’t like coconut growing up when I was a girlscout so I didn’t like them then, unfortunately I haven’t tried them since I’ve gotten over that phobia. Guess there’s only one way to find out!

Michele N January 18, 2012 at 10:33 am

I love Samoas and now do have connections with girl scouts. We tried to get my daughter involved but to no avail. Prior to my current connections I would have to wait for them to be outside of Walmart and other grocery stores to get my fix. Although Fields of Cake’s caramel from her Samoa cupcakes almost makes me forget the cookie all together, just give me a spoon! lol

doughmesstic January 18, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I know, right? That cupcake topping is incredible!

Emily January 18, 2012 at 10:50 am

OMG! These are sinful! I might just have to make them for my husband’s birthday instead of cake. He LOVES coconut!

doughmesstic January 18, 2012 at 1:58 pm

How about a GIANT Samoa cookie? Wow, I could go for that.

roxi January 18, 2012 at 10:55 am

Sus – posting ridiculously sinful and stomach-growl-inducing pictures like these is just simply not fair for those of us who are trying to be good.

I forfeit. You win. My next cookie batch will be these babies.

XOXO

doughmesstic January 18, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Roxi, a good snow flurry could blow you over. YOU need to eat a few batches of these. Miss ya!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 18, 2012 at 11:37 am

Fabulous looking! About 3 years ago I made raw vegan GF Samoas and recently make nonraw, fully decadent Samoas bars, and now I want to make these b/c I love Samoas!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar January 18, 2012 at 11:42 am

Heaven!

Natalie J Vandenberghe January 18, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Sounds delicious! I can’t wait to try the recipe–thank you for sharing ;)

Sunny Hernandez (@foryourpiesonly) January 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Hahaha, I missed out on Girl Scout cookie orders last year and I was so distraught I made a giant (homemade) Samoa cookie pie. When you gotta have Samoas, ya gotta have them!

jo-lyn's cup cakes n' candies January 18, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Good Lord! You are trying to kill me aren’t you?!?!?! This is the last straw! We cannot be friends anymore! ;) Now I have to go make cookies!! HAHAHAHA

Barb B. January 18, 2012 at 7:20 pm

OH MY!!!

leslie January 19, 2012 at 7:54 am

Totally worth it…yes indeed!!!

kara January 20, 2012 at 2:33 pm

These look heavenly. I love samoa’s but I have one question. In your directions for the caramel you say bean paste. What is that? I did not see it in the ingredients…am I just not seeing it. I am pretty simple when it comes to cooking. I pretty much need things spelled out for me. Help me please.

doughmesstic January 20, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Sorry, I meant vanilla bean paste. You DO NOT need it, but some people use it, versus vanilla. I should probably have clarified that, sorry!

Neha February 28, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Hi, Thank you so much for this recipe!!!

I have a question–in the beginning, about how much milk do you put into the dough?

Thanks again!!

doughmesstic February 28, 2012 at 1:53 pm

So sorry! I have updated the recipe for you. Start with a tablespoon of milk, and add more if you need as you go. Thanks!

Elise September 11, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I’ve tried a recipe like this before and it turned out so well!!! almost better than how the Girl Scouts make them =)

Hannah February 17, 2013 at 4:35 pm

These were okay, but there was a bit too much salt in the caramel and everything tasted a bit odd combined.